A day-trip to Dragonstone
Updated: Aug 29, 2018
Here's how to follow in the footsteps of Daenerys Targaryen .... don't forget your dragons.
1. It’s season seven and Daenerys sails into Westeros, trepidation all over her face. Orchestral music adds tension. Ahead is Dragonstone, a castle on the top of an islet.
It’s August bank holiday and I drive into Gaztelugatxe, suncream all over my face. The Trolls soundtrack adds tension. Ahead is a San Juan, a church on the top of an islet.
2. Daenerys sends her dragons to investigate, their screeches echo off the gloomy castle rock
I send my kids to investigate, their groans echo off the 237 steps.
3. The Mother of Dragons lands on a deserted beach and feels the wet sand run through her fingers.
The mother of monsters drives to Zumaia beach (approx. 1 hr away) and can't find anywhere to sit.
4. Daenerys pauses at the huge iron gates before ascending the steps to the summit.
The children pause at the fountain before attempting the steps to the summit
5. Dany, together with her subjects, summits fresh-faced, not a GHD curl out of place.
Mummy, whose subjects have deserted, summits red-faced, not a frazzled lock in place.
6. Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons enters her Dragonstone den. Soon she will meet Jon Snow.
Ali enters the 10th century church. Soon [In her dreams] she will meet Jon Snow. Right now, the man selling crisps and beer will do just nicely.
Jon... where are you?